Meet Rubi, who says that her SLI experiences were “life changing.” Currently employed by Gartner, Inc., Rubi is an alumna of SLI in North Carolina and of the University of Richmond, where SLI founder Peter Iver Kaufman now holds the University of Richmond’s George Matthews & Virginia Brinkley Modlin Chair in Leadership Studies.
Meet the Scholars Latino Initiative in Richmond in this June 2020 Zoom meeting hosted by Cecilia Barbosa, chair of the Virginia Latino Advisory Board:
Guests and Scholars Latino Initiative (SLI) board of directors chair-elect Karina Kline-Gabel and member Chris von Rueden heard from:
- Peter Iver Kaufman, SLI founder and program director in Richmond; Professor, George Matthews & Virginia Brinkley Modlin Chair in Leadership Studies, University of Richmond
- Angela, SLI alumna, Huguenot High School (’19); rising sophomore at Shenandoah University
- Ariel, SLI alumnus, Huguenot High School (’20); entering Eastern Mennonite University
- Blanca, SLI alumna (North Carolina, ’09); University of Richmond and Texas A&M alumna (master’s degrees in public health and biomedical sciences); student affairs, Texas A&M
- Laura, SLI mentor, University of Richmond (’20); Richmond Award and LeSane-Malone Award recipient
- Christopher Clymer Kurtz, SLI Director of Development
Even though soccer had always been a big part of his life, the suspense was nerve wracking. SLI scholar Everth had never before tried out for a school athletic team, and that February night, along with 60 or 70 hopeful peers, he watched as the coaches filled their rosters. READ MORE
Today, it’d be different. But then, back in November 2019, the Richmond Times-Dispatch headline quoted SLI scholar Flory as saying, “I didn’t know that I could make a difference.” READ MORE
Talk even briefly to SLI scholar Noel, and you’ll quickly figure out that he’s a passionate learner with varied interests, Ivy League goals and a growth mindset. READ MORE
By the time her family left Guatemala when she was eight years old, SLI alum Elly already knew what she wanted to do with her life: care for people. READ MORE
Choose a topic above, visit the archive, or scroll at your leisure!